East Africa’s top regional court on Wednesday has dismissed a lawsuit seeking to block construction of the East African Crude Oil Pipeline, clearing a major legal obstacle for a project backed by TotalEnergies, China National Offshore Oil Corporation, Uganda and Tanzania.
The East African Court of Justice ruled that the petition, filed by four civil society groups in 2020, fell outside the treaty’s 60 day deadline. The decision aligns with a Tanzanian court ruling issued last year.
The African Energy Chamber (AEC) welcomed the judgment, calling it an important affirmation of the region’s right to pursue energy development. “Ugandans support this project. They want jobs, investment and the opportunity to participate in an industrial future,” said NJ Ayuk, the chamber’s executive chairman.
He added that development “cannot be outsourced, delayed or derailed by external groups using African courts for ideological battles.”
The 1,443 kilometer pipeline is part of a 10 billion dollar plan that includes drilling more than 400 oil wells near Lake Albert.
Environmental and human rights groups say the project threatens sensitive ecosystems and has already displaced thousands of residents.
More than 100,000 people lost land without adequate compensation, according to rights advocates. Environmental groups describe the pipeline as a major climate risk.
The AEC said the latest ruling strengthens confidence that large regional projects can proceed within legal frameworks despite growing cross border litigation.
The ruling, the Chamber said, demonstrates the credibility of African institutions and supports the view that EACOP is a strategic project capable of delivering regional growth for decades.
In 2022, TotalEnergies, China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC), and the governments of Uganda and Tanzania formally agreed to invest about $10 billion in the East Africa Crude Oil Pipeline (EACOP) and associated Lake Albert oil development projects.





















